As a childcare provider Ofsted require me, under standard 10, to be aware that some children may have special needs and to be proactive in ensuring that appropriate action is taken when a child is identified as having special needs or starts in my care. I must promote the welfare and development of the child in partnership with parents and other relevant agencies.
I have therefore put the following procedures in place.
If I feel that a child in my care has a special need I will keep observational notes and share these notes with the child’s parents as soon as it reasonably possible. I will discuss what support is available and at all times keep matters confidential.
If I am caring for a child with special needs I will include them by valuing and acknowledging children’s individuality and help them to feel good about themselves. I will ask for information from parents about the child’s routines, likes and dislikes. I will ensure that activities are adapted to enable the child with special needs to participate. Where possible, I will arrange access to specialist equipment if needed. I will at all times encourage the child’s confidence and independence.
I will work in partnership with parents and discuss with them any agencies that maybe involved in their child’s support and care, any equipment that their child may need and request advice/support that will help me to provide the best possible care for their child.
I will consider how I can ensure the privacy of a child with special needs whilst continuing to supervise other children in my care.
I am committed to promoting an anti-discriminatory service
I have due regard to the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice 2014.
www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25 and the Equality Act 2010.
Definition of Special Educational Needs:
Children have a learning difficulty if they:
- Have significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children in the same age,
- Have an impairment which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local education authority,
- Are under compulsory school age and fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made by them.
During the time I am caring for a child with Special Educational Needs (SEN) and Disabilities I will
- review the child’s progress at 2+ years and provide a summary with strategies to address issues/concerns.
- Have arrangements to identify and support children with SEN and Disabilities,
- Use the Graduates Response Cycle after identification of needs,
- Maintain a record of how we support those with SEN and disabilities,
- Consider requesting an Education, Health and Care needs assessment when appropriate,
- Keep provision for the 4 broad areas of SEN under review,
- Keep parents informed at all stages of Intervention.
There is help and support available and can be found at www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/localoffer and I will liaise with the professional organisations as necessary.