Just Like Home Childcare understands the importance of fire safety. To this end:
- Staff are aware of the location of all fire exits, the fire assembly point and where fire safety equipment is stored.
- Children are introduced to the fire safety procedures during their settling in period and through regular fire drills.
- Fire drills are conducted at least once a month or whenever new staff or children join the setting.
- All children are shown the location of fire exits and the fire assembly point.
- Fire doors and fire exits are clearly marked, are not obstructed at any time and are easily opened from the inside.
- Fire doors are kept closed at all times but never locked.
- Fire extinguishers and smoke alarms are regularly tested in accordance with manufacturer’s guidance.
- All fire drills are recorded in the Fire Drill Log.
We have notices explaining the fire procedures which are positioned next to every fire exit.
Just Like Home Childcare will take all steps possible to prevent fires occurring by:
- Ensuring that power points are not overloaded with adaptors.
- Ensuring that the No Smoking policy is always observed.
- Checking for frayed or trailing wires.
- Checking that fuses are replaced safely.
- Unplugging all equipment before leaving the premises.
- Storing any potentially flammable materials safely. In the event of a fire
- A member of staff will raise the alarm and call the emergency services.
- The children will immediately be escorted out of the building to the assembly point using the nearest marked exit.
- No attempt will be made to collect personal belongings, or to re-enter the building after evacuation.
- The premises will be checked by the Fire Safety Officer and the register will be collected, providing that it is safe to do so.
- The Fire Safety Officer will close all doors and windows to prevent the spread of fire when they leave the building if it is safe to do so.
- The register will be taken and all children and staff accounted for.
- If anyone is missing from the register, the emergency services will be informed.
- If the register is not available the manager will use the emergency contacts list (which is kept off the premises) to contact parents or carers.
- If the Fire Safety Officer is not present at the time of the incident, the manager will assume responsibility or nominate a replacement member of staff.
Responsibilities of the Fire Safety Officer
Just Like Home Childcare’s Designated Fire Safety Officer is Katie Heal. The Fire Safety Officer is responsible for carrying out the fire safety risk assessment and for ensuring that all staff are made aware of fire safety procedures during their Induction period.
This policy was adopted by: Just Like Home Childcare. Date: 2nd December 2016
To be reviewed: 2nd December 2017. Signed: