At Just Like Home Childcare we will ensure that we provide a safe and caring environment, free from discrimination, for everyone in our community including children with additional needs. To achieve the objective of creating an environment free from discrimination and welcoming to all, we will: –
- Respect the different racial origins, religions, cultures and languages in a multi-ethnic society so that each child is valued as an individual without racial or gender stereotyping.
- Not discriminate against children on the grounds of disability, sexual orientation, class, family status or HIV/Aids status.
- Help all children to celebrate and express their cultural and religious identity by providing a wide range of appropriate resources and activities.
- Strive to ensure that children feel good about themselves and others, by celebrating the differences which make us all unique individuals.
- Ensure that its services are available to all parents/carers and children in the local community.
- Ensure that our recruitment policies and procedures are open, fair and non-discriminatory.
- Work to fulfil all the legal requirements of the Equality Act 2010.
- We will monitor and review the effectiveness of our inclusive practice by conducting an Inclusion Audit on an annual basis. Challenging inappropriate attitudes and practices. We will challenge inappropriate attitudes and practices by engaging children and adults in discussion, by displaying positive images of race and disability, and through our staff modelling anti-discriminatory behaviour at all times.
Just Like Home Childcare will not tolerate any form of racial harassment. We will challenge racist and discriminatory remarks, attitudes and behaviour from the children in our care, from staff and from any other adults on the premises (eg parents/carers collecting children).
Promoting Equal Opportunities
Just Like Home Childcare’s Equal Opportunities Named Coordinator (ENCO) is Katie Heal. The ENCO is responsible for ensuring that: –
- Staff receive relevant and appropriate training.
- The Equalities policy is consistent with current legislation and guidance.
- Appropriate action is taken wherever discriminatory behaviour, language or attitudes occur.
Children with Additional Needs
Just Like Home Childcare recognises that some children have additional needs or physical disabilities that require particular support and assistance. We will assess the individual needs of each child in consultation with their parents prior to their attending our setting, and will make reasonable adjustments to ensure that children can access our services and are made to feel welcome.
Where one-to-one support is required we will assist parents in accessing the funding required to provide the additional care.
Special Educational Needs Coordinator
The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) is Katie Heal. The SENCO will:
- Manage the provision for children with special educational needs or physical disabilities.
- Be fully trained and experienced in the care and assessment of such children. All members of staff will assist the SENCO in caring for children with additional needs or physical disabilities.
This policy was adopted by: Just Like Home Childcare. Date: 2nd December 2016
To be reviewed: 2nd December 2017. Signed: