Accident & Incident Policy

It is my absolute priority to keep children safe while they are in my care. However, occasionally accidents and incidents do occur.

My premises have been checked and they meet the national standards for childminding outlined by Ofsted. I also regularly review, update and practice safety routines.

As a registered childminder, I am legally required to have a valid first-aid certificate within six months of starting childminding. I can administer basic first-aid treatment, and my first-aid box is clearly labelled and easily accessible. Parent contact numbers are with the first-aid box.

If there is an accident:

  • First & foremost I will reassure the injured child while making sure that the other children in my care are safe. This may mean strapping a baby in a buggy or sitting an older child somewhere safe where they can be seen.
  • Then I will assess the extent of the injuries and if possible I will deal with the injuries carrying out the first aid procedures necessary & for which I am trained. If not, I will ring 999 for help.If I have to accompany or take a child to hospital I will contact the child’s parents as soon as possible requesting that they meet me at the hospital.
  • If the child does not require hospital attention I will wait until the child is more settled and then I will contact the child’s parents to inform them of the accident/incident.

If there is an accident or incident which your child is not involved with but results in me leaving the childcare setting to attend doctors/hospital, my emergency back-up cover will take over the care of your child and may contact you to collect your child straight away.

If I have the accident, I will get the nearest responsible adult to help, while my emergency back-up people are being contacted. They may then contact yourselves to collect your child.

I will do my best at all times to make sure the children in my care are safe, reassured and kept calm.

After every accident/incident, however minor, I will complete an accident report form. You will be asked to sign the report.

If the accident/incident requires medical treatment then I will inform Ofsted under standard 14.3 Children Act Regulation re: reporting any significant events. I will also inform my insurance company.

It is very important that you keep me informed regarding your child’s condition following the accident/incident & if you have sought medical advice.